No, I’m not closing down the blog.
Despite the fact that I haven’t been here in…oh…say…over a month! Life got the best of me this spring – getting in the garden (which still isn’t done!), finishing up our homeschool year, trips to the park (now that the Polar Vortex is behind us), and all of this seasoned with the worst morning sickness ever put me in bed most nights by 9 or 10 – and for me – that’s early!
Sweet Baby Rea #4 is on its way this winter!
So the break from the blog was much needed! Now as I’m entering my second trimester, I’m re-evaluating, planning and preparing for the summer with family, scouting out baby items that I’ll be needing sooner rather than later, and all the while, this little ole blog will keep hummin’! I have LOADS of give-aways coming up over the next few weeks and months, so make sure to check back often!
So now that I’m really and truly back, I thought I’d offer an AMAZING give away as amends for being so quiet over here!
Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.
Nordic Naturals was kind enough to send me a box of goodies to review, and seeing as how I’m busy over here gestating, the items came at just the right time!
I’ve been testing out their Prenatal DHA Supplement as well as their Baby’s DHA Drops and I am thoroughly impressed!
First off, their Prenatal DHA Supplement is stellar. Omega-3s seem almost like a catch phrase now-a-days, and everyone knows they’re good, but no one really knows why! Here’s why you want to load up on fish oil during pregnancy (especially in the first trimester as your baby’s most vital systems are taking shape):
- DHA (an abbreviation for docosahexaenoic) (see why it’s abbreviated?!) is a specific type of omega-3 fatty acid that is found in cold-water fish, among other things.
- DHA’s are absolutely important for brain and retinal development, strengthening the immune system, and forming and strengthening the nervous system.
- DHAs are NOT made in your body; you must consume them through diet or supplementation.
During my first trimester, the thought of eating fish (well, the thought of eating a lot of things…) was not appealing at all. However, DHA is an incredibly important supplement for pregnant mommas. In fact:
- Maternal DHA supplementation resulted in improved eye-hand coordination at 2.5 years of age, and improved attention skills at 5 years of age.
- Infants whose mothers had higher blood DHA levels showed better sleep patterns.
- When mothers took cod liver oil during pregnancy, their offspring had a lower risk of diabetes.
- And one of the biggest bonuses that I could actually FEEL – it helps stabilize nerves and decreases moodiness in pregnant mothers. (HUGE plus!)
(for more info on the benefits of DHA in pregnancy, check out www.omega-research.com)
So I am absolutely sold on the reasons for taking DHA supplements, but there are so many brands and options that it’s hard to know where to start.
This is why I love (and completely trust) Nordic Naturals.
- They’re incredibly fresh (fish oil can go rancid if it is too old – and rancid fish and pregnant mommas don’t mix)
- When tested by third-party labs, there were NO heavy metals detected in their products.
- And there’s so much more! Check out this amazing list of standards and qualities.
Not to mention, their prenatal soft gels are small (so they’re easy to take), they’re formulated to be tasteless (who wants to burp fish?!) and I’m getting 900 mgs of DHA per dose, well more than I even need during pregnancy! Each 90-count bottle (which is a one month supply) costs $24.60.
Prenatal supplementation is incredibly important, but it’s also best to continue DHA supplements once your child is born – and Nordic Naturals has a wonderful Baby DHA Drop that gives your child exactly what they need, from birth through 35 pounds!
The DHA Drops support healthy brain, eye and nervous system function, plus it also promotes healthy skin on your new little one! It’s made from Pure Wild Arctic Cod Liver Oil and it’s only $13.55 for a 2 oz bottle.
I did notice that the drops do smell fishier than the prenatal supplements, but babies don’t mind at all! Just place a few drops in their mouth right before you nurse and they’re none the wiser! I even used it with my three-year old, who is right at the weight cut off for this particular supplement. He wasn’t crazy about taking it plain, but it’s easily hidden in a smoothie, orange juice, and I even froze some mixed in with his popsicle and he never said a word!
I was incredibly pleased with these items! Nordic Naturals is known for their purity and high standards and if you’re a pregnant or breast-feeding mama, or you have a little one at home, I can’t recommend them enough!
Nordic Naturals has generously offered an AMAZING giveaway for one of you!
Complete the items in the rafflecopter below to be entered to win their awesome prize package:
- One bottle of Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA
- One Bottle of Nordic Naturals Baby DHA Drops
- A Nordic Natural’s T-shirt
- A Swag Bag (filled with all kinds of goodies, samples, and trial items!)
The giveaway ends Monday, June 9 at 12:00am!
BUT WAIT!! there’s even more!! From now until 6/15/2014, you lovely readers can get 15% off of any order at Nordic Natural’s website by using the code: SPRING2014
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
I was not compensated for this post, but I did receive sample products for the purposes of the review. My views are 100% my own. This giveaway is not affiliated with facebook, pinterest, twitter, instagram or any other social media website. The winner will be chosen through the rafflecopter form via Random.org. Winner will be notified by email within 24 hours of contest end. Winner has 24 hours to respond to the email. Failure to respond will result in a new winner being chosen. Open to residents of the US only.