I’m soooo glad that cooler weather is finally appearing! We are a soup-eating family and this summer when it hit over 100′F for a solid week in the middle of the worst drought in 70 years, I could bring myself to make a warm, savory pot of stew!
But now the leaves are changing and we’ve pulled out the wool socks and jackets, which means I can pull out my arsenal of soup recipes – and here they are to share with you! (the soup recipes – not my wool socks.)
A few unspoken soup rules and tips:
- Simmer. Then simmer some more. Try not to bring your soups to a rolling boil unless the recipe calls for it (which would be odd, but you never know…). Boiling for a long time will decrease the layered flavors which makes soup so amazing!
- Double or triple-batch cook. If you are going to be chopping anyways, just throw in some extra so that you have a some ready-made freezer meals that can be thrown into a crock pot on a busy day. ( Or simply a day you don’t want to cook!)
- Garnish! Add any of the following: diced chicken, ground beef, shredded cheese, avocados, olives, chives, sour cream, diced tomatoes, chopped pickles (no lie – add pickles to the cheeseburger soup recipe just before serving. You’ll thank me!), fresh chopped spinach, diced onions, etc to the top of your soups and change the flavor! A great way to experiment with perking up your soup.
- Bulk it up. Although we adore soups, we need to get full on a soup, so don’t be afraid to bulk it up! Add (or add extra) beans (white beans are very versatile and go well in most soups), lentils (full of protein!), rice, noodles, potatoes, or quinoa. Cooking a veggie based soup recipe but you need to make it stretch? Throw in some chicken or beef!
Here are my favorite recipes from around the web, but PLEASE feel free to share your favorite soup or stew recipes in the comment section! I’d love to find some new ones to try!
20 Autumn Soup Recipes
- Perpetual Soup (how to keep a constant supply of chicken broth around! A perfect base for your soup recipes!)
- Condensed Cream Soup Substitute Recipes (make cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, etc at home! Recipes at the bottom of the post)
- White Chicken Chili
- White Bean + Roasted Mushroom Soup
- Autumn Beef Stew (Tomato Free)
- Spiced Butternut Squash + Apple Soup
- Yellow Split Pea, Kale + Italian Sausage Soup
- Enchilada Soup
- Hearty Chicken Stew With Butternut Squash and Quinoa
- Guiness and Onion Soup with Irish Cheddar Crouton
- Curried Lentil Soup With Coconut Milk
- Beef, Barley and Lentil Soup
- Winter Minestrone
- Apple Brie Soup
- Salsa and Black Bean Soup
- Totally Tasty Tomato + Basil Soup
- Crockpot Cheeseburger Soup
- Cold-Kicker Soup : Spicy Chicken and Rice
- Stone Soup
- Beer Baked White Beans With Bacon (not exactly a soup, but close – and so yummy I had to share it!)
What are your favorite soup and stew recipes? Please share in the comments and feel free to leave a link – I love to try new things!
linked to Fat Tuesday
image amended by me, but originally from this great photographer
originally posted 10/22/12