It’s time to dust off one of our favorite recipes here at Vintage Kids! Spring is almost here in Indiana and while the breezes are still cool enough for a coat, it’s nice to throw this on to simmer for an incredibly easy (and cheap!) lunch or dinner! Enjoy! (originally posted 1/13/12)
During the winter months, I’m always looking for great soup recipes. And this is one of them. It’s a variation to a recipe that a good friend passed along to me and it’s DELICIOUS! I call it *GOURMET*, others may just call it SIMPLE. With so few ingredients needed (aka inexpensive) we eat it quite frequently…including our 11 month old!
- 6 Tbs coconut oil
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1 ½ tsp. fresh ginger, chopped or grated
- 1 Tbs. coconut sugar, honey or sweetener of choice
- 6 Tbs. flour OR 3 Tbs. arrowroot powder or other GF thickener
- 6 c. broth (I use homemade chicken broth but vegetable would taste good as well)
- Salt to taste
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Saute carrots and ginger in the coconut oil until just softened, approximately 5-10 minutes (depending on how thick you cut the carrots).
- Add in sweetener and thickener, stirring to coat.
- Add broth and simmer until carrots are very tender.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth (or transfer in batches to a blender and puree)
- Add coconut milk, stirring to incorporate.
- Add and salt and pepper to taste and serve.