As promised, here is another really easy, really cheap, whole-foods based meal!
I LOVE the look of beautifully filled, colorful peppers roasting in the oven, brimming with savory meat, rice and tomatoes with the perfect amount of spices.
That’s not what this is.
This is not pretty, but what it lacks in good looks, it makes up for in charm.
Because you’re not waiting for.ev.er for the meat and rice to cook in the peppers (as in a traditional stuffed pepper recipe), this version goes MUCH faster, but it tastes the same! You’re cutting out the oven step and dumping it all in the skillet and I’m ALL about saving time and money (and the prices for bell peppers right now are enough to make you cringe!)
So here is my rendition:
- 1 lb of ground beef (grass fed, local and organic are always the way to go if you can find it!)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2-3 large green or colored peppers, diced
- 2 c. cooked rice (I usually soak mine overnight and choose short or medium grain brown rice because it has a great texture!)
- 1-15 oz can (or the equivalent of homemade) tomatoes sauce
- 2-6oz cans (or the equivalent of homemade) tomato paste
- 1 c. tomato juice OR 6 more ounces of tomato sauce plus 3 Tb. water
- salt, pepper and garlic to taste (fresh garlic is best, garlic powder is ok too)
- cooking wine (optional) (I’ve used both white and marsala, depending on what I have on hand, and it doesn’t take much. oh – and water will work fine too if you’re out!)
- a ton of salt and pepper (not really a literal ton, but you’ll want an obscene amount)